It is important to have an effective strategy to manage URL changes and content migrations. The main objectives of developing an SEO migration strategy are:
- Enhancement of search rankings
- Enhancement of link connectivity
- Improving Search Traffic
- Improving User Experience
Here are some tips that would be useful for individual companies as well as for providers of professional and affordable SEO services:
- Baseline reports are significant in comprehending current performance so as to determine whether your strategy was successful or not following its launch. These are the kinds of baseline reports you should consider â top search rankings, the existing levels of search traffic, whether pages are indexed in Google or Bing, link connectivity, and the major search traffic sources.
- Content mapping â Create a map in the nature of an excel spreadsheet which reveals the URLâs old and new destinations. Keep in mind that depending on the number of URLs that are changing, it may be difficult to create a one-to-one map. In such a condition, you would either have to map a number of pages to one, or prioritize your redirects with rankings, revenue, links, and traffic as the bases.
- Webmaster tools â Deliver an updated sitemap to Google Webmaster tools and utilize the change of address function if transferring to a new domain. It is important to initially retain the old URLs in your XML sitemap to enable Google to crawl those links and process the modifications in their index.