Not sure what works for you? I know it can be confusing and sometimes frustrating to try to figure out the impact of social media versus search. In our opinion it really depends on the type of business you run.
Big businesses are very much into social media for search engine optimization (SEO) to gain online visibility, interact with potential and existing customers, and promote their products or services. However, the same approach may not work for small and medium businesses (SMBs). In fact, there are many reasons why SMBs need to focus on search marketing rather than social media strategies.
- There is a common misconception that social media marketing is easy and inexpensive to implement when compared to search marketing. But this is not so. Customer acquisition and retention depends on a well organized and well executed social media campaign which is not that easy to implement.
- Rather than social media sites, people use search engines to find local businesses such as restaurants and shops. They may like your Facebook, but that doesnâ€™t mean that they have any intention to buy your product or service. Active searches are more likely to result in effective demand.
- More and more people are now using their Smartphones to search for what they need. Such searchers are more likely to convert into customers. So mobile marketing is a more reliable and cost-effective customer acquisition tool for SMBs with budget limits. According to Googleâ€™s 2011 Mobile Movement study, 88% of visitors from mobile searches act within 24 hours.
- Online search can familiarize brands. With paid search, SMBs can get in front of potential customers with effective ads based on search queries. This helps them to build their brand without spending huge sums on brand awareness campaigns.
Ultimately ask these questions before you take the plunge
- Is it right for me?
- Is my business suited to attract a social media following?
- Where is my money giving the best ROI?
- Can I handle the impact of social media, good or bad (trust me when I say this, it can be good or bad)
If you still think it is right for you then, SMBs can implement an efficient search engine marketing campaign with professional help from a reliable search engine optimization company. There are service providers that offer customized search engine optimization strategies including social media marketing at affordable rates for businesses of all sizes.