Google is continuously refining and updating its search algorithms to enhance the search experience. Website owners as well as SEO professionals need to keep track of such changes to stay competitive. 2013 was a significant year in terms of the Penguin, Panda, and Hummingbird algorithmic updates. Devaluing of keyword data, rise of content marketing, and efficient methods to address spam are major happenings that the SEO industry witnessed in 2013. Now that weâ€™re set to usher in 2014, itâ€™s time to think of strategies for the future.
SEO tips and techniques for 2014
- Google did all that was necessary to weed out fraudulent practices aimed at increasing online visibility such as unnatural inbound link building techniques. The Google updates of 2013 targeted websites with poor quality content and unethical linking practices. This trend will continue in 2014 too. Periodic audits and evaluation of link profiles could help.
- Content marketing will gain strength in 2014. Google will continue to ensure that only informative, original and good quality content gets top visibility on its search pages.
- With the popularity of visuals, video marketing will also play a significant role in search engine optimization. Content could take any form such as text, video, infographics, and anything relevant that can be put on the website.
- Sharing valuable content through social media platforms is an effective method to increase web traffic. Social media optimization will continue to flourish with the increasing use of social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. For Example: – Conversion rate increased when Innocent and Holler Digital came up with a ‘Tweet & Eat Cheap’ campaign to promote the food brandâ€™s vegetable pots, via facebook.
- Google+ has emerged as a popular platform for content marketing and investing in it will significantly impact search engine result page (SERP) rankings in 2014. By creating Google Authorship of your content, and connecting it to your Google+ account, you can strengthen your Author Rank. Getting more +1s will definitely contribute to your SEO rankings in 2014.
- As tablets and smartphones will continue to be the major platforms for internet access, which means that mobile SEO will thrive in 2014. For mobile SEO to work, websites need to be optimized for visibility on mobile devices. Content must be restructured in a way that allows easy and quick access for mobile users.
- Another aspect to be considered when looking ahead to 2014 is the length of web content. Whatever be the length of the content, Google is focused on value and quality. Marketers will need to develop crisp mobile friendly content as well as high value, ‘long’ content for those looking for such content on other devices.
- Blog submission, a popular off-page optimization strategy that rose in importance in 2013, will continue to do so in the upcoming year too.
With all the competition out there, businesses could do with professional support for search engine optimization. Professional SEO companies keep pace with these changing trends and are well-positioned to provide their clients with niche-specific strategies to enhance their visibility, traffic conversions and sales in 2014.