Facebook’s Mobile App Ads has been a boon for app developers with its precise targeting abilities for mobile app ads. Now, the social media giant has launched a new ad targeting option that allows targeting of users by specific mobile devices. If you could target only iOS or Android earlier, you can reach people using specific mobile devices such as Samsung Galaxy S5, Google Nexus 10 and more and deliver ads specifically to them. Let’s look how this new service will benefit companies who developing mobile applications.
The Second Quarter 2014 Financial Summary released by Facebook this July reveals that mobile is responsible for about 62% of ad revenue during the second quarter. The other statistics showing the dominance of mobile are as follows:
- Mobile daily active users increased by 39% year after year and reached an average of 654 million in June 2014
- Monthly active mobile users increased by 31% compared to last year and reached 1.07 billion as of June 30, 2014
These statistics show that active mobile Facebook users are increasing and that this social networking platform is a viable landscape for mobile app developers. However, to get high quality installs or to enhance engagement within an app, it is crucial to convey the most relevant message to the right audience. The new feature enhances the mobile targeting capability for developers by adding greater specificity. While you could target just ‘Wi-Fi only’ users earlier, you can now select your mobile platform, specific OS version (for example, Jellybean 2.3), and specific device model, and choose either ‘All mobile users’ or ‘Wi-Fi only’.
According to Facebook’s blog post, the major advantages offered by device level targeting for mobile app ads are as follows
- Better ROI – The specific device targeting option allows you to reach the most relevant users and optimize bids by bidding separately according to the device. This will result in greater return on investment.
- Device Level Insights – App Insights can help you find out which devices are working best for your mobile app and use this information to target mobile audiences accordingly. For example, if you find a significant amount of mobile revenue coming from an iPhone 5s, this new feature allows you to direct engagement ads at people using iPhone 5s.
- Filter Out Non-Compatible Devices – You can find devices that are optimal for your mobile app and filter out devices that are no longer compatible with it. This will reduce development time as you would only need to build for devices ideal for your mobile app.
The blog post also provides basic tips to use device targeting for mobile app ads such as:
- As there is no reason why you should build different campaigns for people on different devices, Facebook’s team recommends bundling the groups with a minimum audience size of 500,000 users for each ad
- You can customize your ad according to your audience. For example, if you are targeting iPad users, use images of that device or mention the device in your ad
- Since competition may differ according to the device, create different ads with optimized bids for either each device or groups of devices
- Use the custom audiences and lookalikes features to reach a large and relevant set of people. By creating custom audiences consisting of your mobile app users, you can reach people who are already using your apps and thereby increase engagement and conversions. Creating a separate lookalike audience according to the attributes of your existing users will help you reach new people who are likely to be interested in your business
Developers should have clear and specific goals (either long-term or short-term) and utilize this feature efficiently to attain those goals.