Google is the web search engine that is most frequently used and the vast majority of websites receive visitors through Google search. When searchers use Google, they are confident that they will find reliable information. It is a known fact that majority of the searchers will not go beyond the first page of a search. This means that people want their findings quickly, which further emphasizes the need to make sure that your website has a good ranking on Googleâ€™s SERPs.
Search engine optimization is the key when it comes to enjoying good ranking, and this is something to be done professionally, adopting the right strategies. When optimizing for Google, SEOs need to be watchful of Googleâ€™s ever-changing algorithms and associated requirements. MOZ surveyed over 150 leading search marketers this year for their expert opinions regarding more than 90 ranking factors. Awareness of these factors along with knowledge of search engine algorithms can help implement more effective SEO practices.
Major Ranking Factors to Note
On a scale of 1 to 10, here are the major ranking factors ranging from most influential to least influential.
- Domain level link features
- Page level link features
- Page-level content and keyword-based features
- Page-level keyword-agnostic features
- Engagement and traffic/query data
- Domain level brand metrics
- Domain level keyword usage
- Domain level keyword-agnostic features
- Page level social metrics
View the details of the survey here.
The features of Googleâ€™s algorithm are expected to change over the next 12 months. Following are the predictions of the experts surveyed regarding ranking factors that may increase in impact, stay the same, and reduce in impact on Googleâ€™s ranking algorithm.
Factors That Will Have an Increased Impact
- There is an increasing trend in the number of people who use mobile devices to go online. Most SEO experts agree that mobile friendliness is an essential factor to search engine success in 2016
- Usage data( CTR, dwell time)
- Readability/ usability/ design
- Clickstream data from outside search results
- Site speed
- Quantity/ quality of instant answers provided in SERPs
- On- page topic modelling
- Association with mobile apps and app popularity
- Influence of structured data in SERPs
- Analysis of site/ pageâ€™s perceived value
Factors Likely to Stay the Same
- Topical relevance of links: Search engines automatically assume that topically relevant links will lead users to additional information. An unrelated link is more likely to have been paid for with the sole purpose of improving the siteâ€™s position in search results
- Social signals such as shares, likes, +1s
- Presence and prominence of advertising vs. content
- URL structure/ formatting/ optimization
- Internal links
- Raw domain authority based on incoming links
- Quantity of paid results on SERPs
Factors that Will Have a Reduced Impact
- Influence of anchor text
- The effectiveness of paid links
Develop the Right SEO Campaign for Business Success
The above information will help you develop the right SEO campaign for your business website in 2016. The primary focus must be on providing web users with a better experience. Make sure that your website, blogs and articles contain content relevant to the search phrase. Other important considerations include mobile friendliness, page load time, position of keywords in the title, and so on. Businesses can cost-effectively improve their websitesâ€™ search engine ranking with the support of SEO services. A search engine optimization company will have mastered the process of search function and can ensure strategic, highly effective website optimization services.