In any kind of SEO marketing campaign, it is important to conduct competitive analysis. This helps to determine the various strategies that the competitors are using to maintain their ranking. The basis of any SEO campaign should be a thorough examination of who competitors are, what they’re ranking for, and how they achieved those rankings.
Steps in Competitor Analysis for SEO
- Identify Competitors – Make a list of businesses that offer the same products or services as you do and that with your site compete in search results for target keywords. Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of your competition. This initial phase is especially helpful for start-ups. Perform search engine optimization audits on a regular basis to identify the position changes or search engine strategy changes of your opponents. Tools like SEMRush can help determine keyword ranking pages and also information about the opponents.
- Keyword Identification – Keywords are considered the most important factor for SEO success. Comparing and checking the keyword consistency and frequency of the competitors should be the first on the list. Find out the most powerful keywords that have the potential to attract targeted visitors to your site. Then check which sites are ranking well for each of your top keywords.
- Determine and Analyze Competitor Links – This can provide an insight into how opponents are building backlinks, as this is the backbone of every good ranker. This will help you understand their link profile and why they’re ranking, as well as the strategies used to acquire links. Use Moz’s Open Site Explorer to determine the authority of the opponents and certain factors like Domain Authority, age of a domain, and number of unique linking root domains to the site.
- Evaluate Social Media Presence – Social media drives a lot of online traffic. So check if your competitors are actively using it. Always check their level of engagement on these sites, number of followers, and how often they interact with them, and the average number of mentions they get over a period of time on social media. Identifying competitive advantage will help you determine an appropriate social media strategy.
- Page Comparison – Perform a detailed analysis of how your site compares to the competitors at both the page and site-wide level. Use tools like QuickSprout and Side-By-Side Comparison to get a detailed comparison and data such as page size, link number, words on a page, keyword density, meta data and linking structure of the page.
- On-page SEO Checks – Monitor your opponent’s website for optimization techniques and give special attention to elements such as title tags, URL structure, meta descriptions, header tags, content relevancy, and keyword positioning.
Conducting competitor analysis is very important when optimizing a website and the only way to beat the opponents is by gathering as much information about them. Companies providing search engine optimization services offer SEO packages that include competitive analysis, helping you formulate the right business strategy for online success.