WordPress can be used either as a content management system (CMS) or as a blogging platform. Since 2003, it has grown to be the largest self-hosted blogging tool in the world, used on millions of sites and seen by tens of millions of people every day. Compared to other CMSs, this popular platform provides advantages such as- no set-up costs, easy to use and flexible, no coding or design knowledge required and there are hundreds of themes to choose from.
But Is It SEO Friendly?
Though WordPress has over a dozen amazing SEO plug-ins, it is not fully SEO friendly. Here are certain tips that will help you write perfect search engine optimized blog posts in WordPress sites.
- Optimize your title – Your page title is very important as far as the search engines are concerned. Both the article title and META title should be the same, which will help engage the user. The Meta title should contain the target keywords. Also make sure to use the same title in your post URL. Target keywords should be included in the first and last paragraph.
- Optimize your descriptions and keywords – Although the description tag is no longer important for ranking purposes, it is still an excellent opportunity to let people know what your blog is all about when they come across your site in the search engine result pages (SERPs). You should write up to 160 characters in the description box. Just placing all the keywords related to the post inside that keywords box will not work. Search engines use these keywords and then search for them throughout the content of the post, to confirm whether the post is truly about the keyword that the reader has searched for. An ideal way is to imagine yourself as a reader and look for the words they may use to search for a specific blog post. Using those keywords will be more effective.
- Use short permalinks, including keywords – Google cares only for the first four words in a permalink. Using the same blog title as permalink can hurt your SEO. Search engines will skip the keywords such as ‚ÄúA, To, An, and In‚ÄĚ. Avoid using stop links in permalink. Remember not to change permalinks in already submitted blog posts. This will return an ERROR to your readers, affecting your blog/website‚Äôs reputation.
- Index images – Handling images is also a matter of concern. By writing better alt tags for images, you can gain extra traffic from the various image search engines. After inserting your image, just open its options, and add the details of the image into the tab ‚ÄėAlternate Text.‚Äô
- Use XML sitemaps – Create a sitemap in XML format to let Google and other search engines identify that your site has been updated. Yoast SEO plug-in can be used as it contains an XML sitemap module by default and you just have to enable it.
- Interlink your article – Interlinking is important when writing a blog post, as it provides some page authority to other linked pages. While writing a new post, it‚Äôs always ideal to link back to old posts so that readers can refer to information given earlier, and search engines can crawl again to the old blog posts.
SEO content writing services offered by established SEO companies can help you implement these tips and increase the number of visitors to your blog as well as business.
Most Popular WordPress SEO Plug-ins
The plug-in, with its advanced features will help you to not only increase rankings but also the click through for organic search results. Yoast SEO plug-in-
- Enables easier XML sitemap functionality
- Helps you to write better content
- Forces to choose a focus keyword for articles and makes sure you use that keyword everywhere
All-in-One SEO Pack
The only plug-in to provide SEO Integration for WordPress E-Commerce sites, it can automatically optimize your WP blog for search engines such as Google. It also offers:
- Google analytics support
- Generates META tags automatically
- Support for CMS-style WP installations
- Compatibility with many other plug-ins
Squirrly SEO helps users to write content that is SEO as well as human friendly. This plug-in will
- Find the most relevant text for the article and add it in the META Description
- Offer SEO analytics for each post or page
- Show you social signals for each article
- Optimize your titles for search engines