Online marketing has proved to be successful for most businesses, but what is the best way to spend limited resources — invest in social media or SEO? The customary answer to this question was search engine optimization, which is the art and science of enhancing the online presence of a website. However, the marketing trends for the past couple of years have proved that a blend of SEO and social media optimization is essential for brands to increase their online visibility, and sales.
Quality Content and SEO
During the last few years, SEO has matured quite a bit. Nowadays it is focussing more on fresh, original, and quality content that will provide value to customers, while attracting search engines to increase the website rankings. Although SEO practices such as on-page keyword optimization and link building still play an important role in deciding a website’s success, they can no longer be relied on as the best ways to drive search traffic to a website.
Google looks for the following factors when determining quality content:
- Elaborate and useful content
- Correct spelling
- Proper text formatting
- Proper grammar
- Proper placement of links – including both outbound links to other high quality sites and inbound links (and social shares) from high quality sources
Moreover, content must be relevant to the website publishing it and to the target readers. Target readers are usually interested in the following types of contents.
- Blogs that provide some kind of informative or actionable value
- Infographics – Content with large-format images that can be quickly read and understood
Social Media and SEO
According to a recent social media marketing industry report, (study surveyed over 3000 marketers) 86% of the marketers agreed that social media is important for their businesses. There is greater need for SEO, social media and content strategy to work together as search engines become more sophisticated, in keeping with changing and more demanding user requirements. Anyway, sharing good quality content in social media portals such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram will bring the following benefits:
- Good quality content attracts links and improves the process of link building
- Content shared on social networking platforms generates quality links for your site and rewards you with new visitors
- Reinforces your authority and genuineness in the eyes of Google
- Increases the number of social signals, which indicates that the content is worth consuming, and is relevant for a specific audience. Any action that would link a social media profile to a website can be considered as a social signal.
How can you encourage sharing of your content on social media venues?
- By including social share buttons on your web pages
- Discover where your audience hangs out online, create profiles and build solid relationships with them
- Encourage engagement by asking for likes, re-tweets, shares, +1s, etc
Social media sharing creates more number of links and heightens your profile in almost all search engine result pages (SERPs).
Integrate SEO and Social Media to Stay Consistent
Studies show that thirty-eight percent of the “very successful” companies extensively integrated social media with SEO, compared to just 2% of those “not successful”. It is vital to realize the power of search engine and social media optimization to be more marketable. The two long-term strategies â€“ SEO and social media â€“ can work together commendably and lay the groundwork for a successful marketing campaign. Most branded companies now prefer social media platforms such as Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Bing to enhance SEO and gain global visibility.
Here are some of the social SEO tips for businesses:
- Optimize your social media profiles – By filling out the ‘About’ or ‘Information’ sections of any social media platform, using words or phrases that describe your business (these are also terms individuals would use to search for your business)
- Optimize your social media content/updates – By including some of the relevant search keywords you determined for your business, by sharing new content, and many more
- Build links by making your content shareable
- Use Pinterest to share content, as it is great for link building and improving your keyword strategy
- Share your content on your Google+ page, and you are more likely to appear in Google’s SERPs
- Optimize your Google+ Local listing to perform well in local search results
Businesses must focus on building relationships with their audience on social media, provide relevant and valuable content that will persuade people to connect with you and share your content in their circles. Like social media optimization, SEO also requires time to achieve the desired results. Businesses aiming to enhance their brand name and build a solid reputation online must focus on developing a social media and SEO campaign simultaneously that can draw succour from each other. The SEO-SMO amalgam model is here to stay according to industry experts, and internet marketers must take advantage of this new strategy to build their businesses.
This is an area where a reputable SEO company can offer valuable support. A reliable firm with professional SEO staff can figure out the particular needs of your company and design an appropriate SEO strategy that ensures profit in the long run.